Re: devfs_mk_cdev question

From: "Andrey Borzenkov"
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 06:45:05 EST

> I am a litte perplexed. Is this error message important?

> I am running linux-2.6.0-test11 on a modified Mandrake 9.2 rc2 release.

You may have any issues here, esp. with initscripts. You may try
current cooker.

> The sound card is playing as I type but on boot I saw:
> [
> Dec 4 16:44:27 dali kernel: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.7 (Thu Sep 25 19:16:36 20 03 UTC).
> Dec 4 16:44:27 dali kernel: request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- snd-card-0. error = -16

EBUSY but no idea why it is reported; probably by driver?

> As I slowly work my way through the problems I see this:
> [
> Dec 4 16:45:29 dali kernel: devfs_mk_cdev: could not append to parent for snd/hwC0D0

check that /dev/snd is not a file or link or whatever. Remove it,
remove /lib/dev-state/snd and try again. If it persists (i.e. you
have non-directory /dev/snd appearing every time on boot) try
to find out why it is created. ALSA initscript in Mandrake creates
/dev/snd as link to /proc/whatever if it believes devfs is not present. It may be one possible reason.

-andrey