Re: cdrecord hangs my computer

From: Ethan Weinstein
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 03:54:34 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Tero Knuutila wrote:

My system hangs everytime I try to burn my .wav files to cd with cdrecord.
Usually few tracks go succesfully but then everything stops. Even the mouse
won't move and powerbutton does not affect.

Is this with ide-scsi? If so, does the appended patch help?

If not, we really need a whole lot more information (hw config, messages
etc).

Linus

I've noted this at boot several times with 2.6.0-test11

Dec 4 23:59:21 e-d0uble kernel: ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning! Use ide-cd and give dev=/dev/hdX as device

Removing the ide-cd bootparams: (I didn't try the patch)

Cdrecord 2.00.3 seems to like the sony-dru500a, denoted as --dev=/dev/hdc, I burned several disks this way.
crdao and growisofs don't like to parse /dev/hdc as an argumenet, but I'm sure these are easily fixed.

Ethan