Re: Prcess scheduler Imiprovements in 2.6.0-test9

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 05:53:12 EST

Craig Thomas wrote:

OSDL has been running peformance tests with hackbench to measure the
improvment of the scheduler, compared with LInux 2.4.18. We ran the
test on our Scalable Test Platform on different system sizes. The
results obtained seem to show that the 2.6 scheduler is more
efficient and allows for greater scalability on larger systems.
See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=100805466304516&w=2
for a description of hackbench.

The set of data below shows an average time of five hackbench runs
for each set of groups. Linux 2.6.0-test9 clearly shows significan
improvement in the completion times.

Test set 1: Performance of hackbench

(times are in seconds, lower number is better)

number of groups 50 100 150 200
1 CPU
2.4.18 15.52 37.63 74.34 110.62
2.6.0-test9 9.91 17.86 27.55 39.77
2 CPUs
2.4.18 10.50 30.42 64.26 112.46
2.6.0-test9 7.44 13.45 19.68 26.68
4 CPUs
2.4.18 7.07 22.75 54.10 101.45
2.6.0-test9 5.16 9.25 13.64 18.65
8 CPUs
2.4.18 7.02 24.63 61.48 114.93
2.6.0-test9 4.08 7.15 10.31 13.84

Hi Craig,
The numbers here are very impressive. Is there is an easy way
to make a table of results like this with STP? What is the
exact parameter line you pass to hackbench to get this?
These are results from a run with my scheduler patch on the
8-way. Not sure if they're comparable but if so they are a
small improvement.

20 1.69
40 2.54
60 3.41