Re: cdrecord hangs my computer

From: John Bradford
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 09:33:54 EST

> At the moment, I don't have a burner on a 2.6.0 machine, however, why is
> ide-scsi depreciated?

Basically IDE-SCSI is a work-around to allow userspace programs that
were designed to talk to SCSI devices to use SCSI-like devices
connected to an IDE bus.

This works, but obviously it is better to support things natively.
IDE CD recorders are probably the most popular SCSI-like IDE device
and were therefore quickly supported. Less common hardware, such as
some IDE MO drives, continues to require IDE-SCSI for the time being.

> On every PC I have that has an ide cd drive, I use
> ide-scsi. I like the fact that scd0 is the cdrom drive. Instead of
> guessing if it's hdb hdc or hdd (in the case of this laptop, the dvd was hdb
> and the modular cdrw was hdc).

It's easy enough to write something in userspace to identify which
devices are which and create devices such as /dev/cdrom
automatically - no need to use IDE-SCSI for that.

John.