const versus __attribute__((const))

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 20:21:26 EST

I have been chasing down a bunch of warnings that have been annoying
me, and I have observed that a bunch of the byteorder functions are
defined in ways similar to:

static __inline__ __const__ __u16 ___arch__swab16(__u16 value)

With -W -Wall at least gcc 3.2.2 will issue a warning:

warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type

... which seems to imply the __const__ is ignored. Reading the gcc
documentation it appears the correct syntax is
__attribute__((__const__)) rather than __const__.

I have made a patch against the current tree defining
__attribute_const__ in <linux/compiler.h> and using it in the above
cases; does anyone know any reason why I should *NOT* submit this to
Linus?

-hpa
--
<hpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> at work, <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> in private!
If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam.