Re: Large-FAT32-Filesystem Bug

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 04:46:34 EST

Tomasz Torcz wrote:

From: "Torsten Scheck" <torsten.scheck@xxxxxx>

Dear friends:

I already sent a message to the VFAT maintainer, but I decided
to additionally bother this list with a warning. This way some
readers might avoid data loss.

This all may be moot. Microsoft is about to charge a royalty for
use of the FAT file system. http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/ip/tech/fat.asp

The claim some patents, but aren't FAT so old that they have
expired?

Patents for storing long names of files (which Microsoft is charging for)
are from 1995 or something.

No problem then - long filenames on fat is something I only see a need for
when sharing a partition with windows - you then have a licence to use
fat through the windows licence.

Digital cameras and such simply don't need long names.

Helge Hafting