Re: Configurable OOM killer Re: old oom-vm for 2.4.32 (was oom killer in 2.4.23)

From: Peter Bergmann
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 17:01:59 EST

> the
> me
> > >
> > > I suppose the oom killer is the only reason for you using .22 VM
> correct?
> > >
> > > Or do you have any other reason for this?
> >
> > No, you're right. The oom killer is the _only_reason.
> > I did not succeed in integrating the disabled oom_kill.c in 2.4.23.
> > The only solution for me is applying Norbert's .22vm patch.
>
> Hi,
>
> The following patch makes OOM killer configurable (its the same as the
> other patches posted except its around CONFIG_OOM_KILLER).
>
> I hope the Configure.help entry is clear enough.
>
> Peter, can you please try this.
>
> Comments are appreciated.

Great. seems to work very well. Thx.
Ran some very hungry testprogs (memeat.c), filled a tmpfs with crap, ...
I was satisfied with oom's kill decisions.
And it is/was very easy to modify/extend oom_kill.c for special needs.

Maybe the Configure.help text should be somewhat more frightening.
I think aa had good reasons for disabling oom (possibility of lock up) but
among others
I'd prefer to see your patch - a config option (default disabled +
experimental) - in 2.4.24.

Cheers,
Pet