Re: VIA on-chip RNG and crypto...

From: coderman
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 23:13:55 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

VIA has publicly posted the docs for the 'xstore' and 'xcrypt' instructions in their processors:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/viac3/c3.jsp
They have also supported open source by providing docs and occasionally hardware to myself, Dave Jones, Alan, and others. So, while it might appear this is a shameless plug :) I just really like the technology, and am never shy about promoting good hardware designs, and vendors that work with the open source community.

Same here, this crypto stuff rocks!

I posted a document and some sources for using the high throughput
entropy source on linux (2.4.23 and 2.4.6test9) here:

http://peertech.org/hardware/viarng/

The stock hw_random.c needs a few tweaks to support 8 byte xstore,
and I wrote a new userspace entropy daemon to support low latency,
high volume throughput. I should clean the code up so it is usable...

Best regards,