Re: udev sysfs docs Re: State of devfs in 2.6?

From: Måns Rullgård
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 04:42:20 EST

Miles Bader <miles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > That's something I don't understand: I thought that with a well
>> > configured hotplug+udev system, you'll never have to worry about loading
>> > drivers on device-node open() because all drivers should be auto-loaded
>> > and all device-nodes should be auto-created.
>>
>> No, you are correct. That's why I'm not really worried about this, and
>> I don't think anyone else should be either.
>
> Is there a specific case for which people want this feature?
> Offhand it seems like a slightly odd thing to ask for...

I believe the original motivation for module autoloading was to save
memory by unloading modules when their devices were unused. Loading
them automatically on demand made for less trouble for users, who
didn't have to run modprobe manually to use the sound card, or
whatever. This could still be a good thing in embedded systems.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@xxxxxx