Re: 2.4.23aa1 - scsi/pcmcia qlogic still does not build (m)

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 09:12:57 EST

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 01:25:52PM +1100, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > Also for the i2c troubles (you mentioned those last time), you can try
> > if this helps.
>
> I applied fixes similar to your suggestion to i2c-2.7.0
> and lm_sensors-2.7.0 to get these to build, looks OK.
>
> My final depmod has this problem though:
>
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.4.23aa1/kernel/drivers/video/sis/sisfb.o
> depmod: __floatsidf
> depmod: __divdf3
> depmod: __fixunsdfsi
> depmod: __muldf3
> depmod: __adddf3
>
> I do not have this problem with 2.4.23, and I see the -aa1 patch
> actually removing some FP ops. But therer are some left in other
> sources (e.g. sis_main.c) so maybe some link problem was exposed?

yes I've a 150k compressed updated driver from Thomas Winischhofer in my
inbox for Marcelo that should fix those bugs (that would obsolete the
non complete 00_sis-fpu-bugs-1), I thought it was merged in mainline but
obviously not as 00_sis-fpu-bugs-1 wouldn't apply anymore. I guess
Marcelo rejected it because it was very big and it wasn't fix the strict
fpu bugs revealed by the -msoft-float, just guessing.

> Reverting the sis/init.c hunk does not fix this. Can it be related
> to this in arch/i386/Makefile:
>
> -CFLAGS += -pipe
> +CFLAGS += -pipe -msoft-float

yes it's related, reverting it would hide the bug, the module would
load again but userspace could be corrupted at runtime.