Re: udev sysfs docs Re: State of devfs in 2.6?

From: Oliver Hunt
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 15:36:19 EST

Måns Rullgård wrote:

Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

maybe add this to the faq?

Q: devfs did load drivers when someone tried to open() a non existing
device. will sysfs/hotplug/udev do this?

A: there is no need to.

I never like it when the answer is "you don't want to do this". It
makes me think of a certain Redmond based company.

hotplug/sysfs/udev will create devices for all hardware supported by
the kernel and the available modules. it will do that during boot
up, and whenever new hardware is added. so you can expect all
devices be already present, no need for a devfs like mechanism.

No... that's MacOS.. it does everything you want it to do... if you think otherwise, you're *wrong*, although this isn't as applicable in MacOS X...

--Oliver

PS not meant to offend MacOS users...