Re: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 11:23:57 EST

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 08:06 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > Are you saying that there are things which I may not ask for? Could you
> > elaborate?
>
> I think at this point you need to talk to a lawyer. I can guess where this
> conversation is going and I'm not going to be effective.

I was asking you to elaborate on what you were talking about in your
previous mail -- in particular why _you_ think I can't make arbitrary
conditions when granting a licence to use my work.

A lawyer could not answer that question for me.

You seemed to be saying that I may not place arbitrary conditions on my
permission for you to use my work.

That is not the case. I _may_ place arbitrary conditions on my licence.

So if I say you may only cross my land when walking on your hands, or
that you may only copy my software if you release all your own unrelated
software under the GPL, that's fine.

You of course retain the right to _not_ cross my land, and to _not_ use
my software.

> Huh? I don't think that copyright violation makes you a felon.

It's definitely a criminal offence in the UK:
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880048_en_7.htm#mdiv107

I can't bring myself to believe it's a criminal offence here but not in
a country where the legislature is owned by Disney Corp., but I could be
wrong.

--
dwmw2