Re: PROBLEM: Linux 2.6.0-test11 only lets me use 1GB out of 2GB ram.

From: Raul Miller
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 01:03:17 EST

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 11:06:46PM -0600, Donald Maner wrote:
> The kernel you're using WAS compiled with CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y, correct?

No.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 04:13:25PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Or ARCH=x86_64 ?

Yes. Well, no... I don't see that option in my .config. I
did specify the amd64 bit archictecture, but I don't know
what that means in .config terms. Here's what's set under
"# Processor type and features":

CONFIG_X86_PC=y
CONFIG_MK8=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
CONFIG_X86_XADD=y
CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=6
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_INTEL_USERCOPY=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
CONFIG_SMP=y
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=2
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
CONFIG_X86_MSR=y
CONFIG_X86_CPUID=y
CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_MTRR=y
CONFIG_HAVE_DEC_LOCK=y

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 04:48:51PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> At any rate, Raul, highmem shouldn't hurt your performance significantly
> with the 2.6 kernel. If it does then send a note to the list.

Ok, I guess I'll try that (tomorrow, unless I hear any better suggestions
before then).

[I thought highmem was something completely different -- that it declared
a watermark and memory above that watermark was treated differently.
However, I guess I understand that this might have the side effect of
bumping things around such that I get access to the memory.]

Thanks,

--
Raul Miller
moth@xxxxxxxxxxx