Re: 2.6.0-test9 - poor swap performance on low end machines

From: Roger Luethi
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 05:21:05 EST

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:31:40 -0500, Rik van Riel wrote:
> Hmmm, those definitions have changed a little from the
> OS books I read ;))
>
> > - It is light thrashing when load control has no advantage.
>
> This used to be called "no thrashing" ;)

Fair enough, but that was before Linux 2.6 <g>.

kbuild benchmark, execution time in seconds (median over ten runs):
74 2.6.0-test11, 256 MB RAM
115 2.4.21, 64 MB RAM
539 2.6.0-test11, 64 MB RAM

We can call it lousy paging, that'll be fine with me.

> Also, it would make the job of a load control mechanism
> really easy to define:
>
> "Prevent the system from thrashing"

"... once all other means are exhausted". Then I'll buy it.

Roger