Re: [patch] quite down SMP boot messages

From: David Mosberger
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 17:29:34 EST

>> I'd like to propose this patch for 2.6.0 or 2.6.1 to quite down some
>> of the excessive boot messages printed for each CPU. The patch simply
>> introduces a boot time variable 'smpverbose' which users can set if
>> they experience problems and want to see the full set of messages.

>> Once you hit > 2 CPUs the amount of noise printed per CPU starts
>> becoming a pain, at 64 CPUs it's turning into a royal pain ....

Pavel> You might want to be more creative.. With something like < for each
Pavel> cpu going up and > for each cpu booted, you might be able to preserve
Pavel> all the info yet make it _way_ shorter.

Sounds promising to me. I also dislike the verbosity, but getting rid
of the messages completely makes me nervous, too, because sometimes
things do fail and then it's invaluable to have some idea of how far
the boot got (even if the person booting the machines has no clue what
the funny symbols on his screen actually mean).

--david