Re: 2.6.0-test11-wli-2

From: Yaroslav Rastrigin
Date: Sat Dec 13 2003 - 03:48:54 EST

On Saturday 13 December 2003 04:27, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 09:29:29PM -0800, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> > Successfully tested on a Thinkpad T21 and 32GB NUMA-Q. Any feedback
> > regarding performance would be very helpful. Desktop users should
> > notice top(1) is faster, kernel hackers that kernel compiles are faster,
> > and highmem users should see much less per-process lowmem overhead
Performance is, indeed, better. My Thinkpad T21 feels slightly on steroids
with -wli-2 :-). Some problems, though, were encountered:
1. fs/dcache.c/d_validate() function was removed in your patch, but it is used
in at least one place ( fs/smbfs/cache.c/smb_dget_fpos() ).
2. With 2.6.0-test11 vanilla, suspend-to-ram/suspend-to-disk was working
nicely. With -wli-2 suspend fails on 'stopping tasks' phase, and aborts with

Dec 13 01:08:47 localhost kernel: Stopping tasks: ======================
Dec 13 01:08:47 localhost kernel: stopping tasks failed (1 tasks remaining)
Dec 13 01:08:47 localhost kernel: Restarting tasks...<6> Strange, swapper not
stopped

Hope this helps.
--
With all the best, yarick at relex dot ru.