Re: Multiple keyboard/monitor vs linux-2.6?

From: Svetoslav Slavtchev
Date: Sat Dec 13 2003 - 05:35:36 EST

> Quote from William Park <opengeometry@xxxxxxxx>:
> > On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 12:09:05AM +0100, Svetoslav Slavtchev wrote:
> > > if you just want muliple X users bruby/ ruby should work as stable as
> > > 2.4 /2.6 (works at least for 20-25 people i helped, reading the howto
> > > and getting it up),
> > >
> > > but if you want multiple virtual terminals, you'll have to experiment
> :-)
> > > and read a lot the linuxconsole ml, as it's not yet documented
> >
> > Multiple X users (via xdm login) is what I'm looking for. X-terminal is
> > the canonical answer. In the light of recent development in PXE support
> > which effectively eliminated third-party packages like Etherboot,
> > Netboot, Rom-a-matic, and LTSP, I was wondering if it's possible to go
> > the next logical step and eliminate motherboard/case as well.
> >
> > This would be ideal for home market, where you want multiple users (ie.
> > kids) but with only one PC. Sell it as "Linux Mainframe"... :-)
>
> Search the archives - this comes up every few months on LKML.
>
> John.

with the small difference that now it's doable,
and previously mostly impossible

/* ya i know that Miguel solution exist quite a long time
* already, but it's a bit hard to use it on systems with more
* then 2 users and configuring the input devices is not easy,
* optimal, and tere is no way to get multi-user virtual consoles
*
* ruby doesn't have this issues
*/

best,