Re: [CFT][RFC] HT scheduler

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sun Dec 14 2003 - 04:43:38 EST

Jamie Lokier wrote:

Nick Piggin wrote:

Shared runqueues sound like a simplification to describe execution units
which have shared resourses and null cost of changing units. You can do
that by having a domain which behaved like that, but a shared runqueue
sounds better because it would eliminate the cost of even considering
moving a process from one sibling to another.

You are correct, however it would be a miniscule cost advantage,
possibly outweighed by the shared lock, and overhead of more
changing of CPUs (I'm sure there would be some cost).

Regarding the overhead of the shared runqueue lock:

Is the "lock" prefix actually required for locking between x86
siblings which share the same L1 cache?

That lock is still taken by other CPUs as well for eg. wakeups, balancing,
and so forth. I guess it could be a very specific optimisation for
spinlocks in general if there was only one HT core. Don't know if it
would be worthwhile though.