Re: 2.6 and IDE "geometry"

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Sun Dec 14 2003 - 17:07:13 EST

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 04:23:48PM -0500, Wakko Warner wrote:

> > > I would say most cases use the 255/63
> >
> > Good. So you can try constant geometry setting with *fdisk.
> >
> > > with drives >4gb. Is there anyway to query the bios to ask it?
> >
> > Yes, and that is what the kernel used to do.
> > In general, however, the answer is unreliable.
>
> anyway to get this unreliable answer back? =)

Easy enough, the code is still there, just the result is no longer used.

But unless you have good reason, you should not wish those old times
back. This geometry stuff has caused such a large amount of pain.

Set your geometry to the constant */255/63 - depending on precisely
what you did, that may already have been what you got from 2.4 anyway.
Complain if you have troubles - specify BIOS type, geometry, operating
system that has problems booting.

I hope we'll find out that everything can be made to work without
kernel support.