Re: 2.6.0-test11 ps2 mouse giving corrupt data?

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 11:50:54 EST

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 11:02:39PM -0500, Bob wrote:
> Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 12:36:38PM +0000, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> >

> >>I have just switched from l2.4 to 2.6 on my thinkpad, and the mouse does
> >>something wierd when I boot into x (kde)
> >>
> >>startx, then wait for everything to load, then move mouse. Mouse goes
> >>crazy, menus pop up everywhere as though I were pressing buttons, and
> >>after about 3 seconds, it all settles down and works perfectly.
> >>

> >Most likely X does something nasty to the keyboard controller while it
> >is starting up. The psmouse kernel driver has an autosync feature which
> >can get it out of trouble if you don't move the mouse for two seconds.
> >

> When did the autosync feature arrive?
> It doesn't work for me(k2.6.11 with
> MSI K7N2 Delta nforce2 mboard
> and k2.6.11 with Shuttle Xpc SK41G
> FX41 mboard with VIA fsb) if ps2
> kvm switch(Belkin) is switched away.

2.5.something.

Now when your Belkin switch resets the mouse, the autosync will not
work, as it only compensates for lost bytes, not a complete protocol
change. Use 'psmouse_noext" on the kernel command line to disable wheel
handling and it'll work OK.

(Automatic mouse reinitialization is on the planned feature list.)

> When sync is lost on my pc's I have to
> reboot. Symptoms are the same, on X or
> text term--any mouse movement triggers
> selects and buttons down but the correct
> events do not occur.
>
> With a kvm switch k-2.6.? loses psmouse
> sync on the off pc. Rebooting is the only
> solution. I got tired of this and moved the
> mouse(logitech trackman fx) to one pc,
> so the other only has to boot with the
> mouse attached either to kvm or ps2
> port on pc. That's fine until moving the
> mouse back and forth for rebooting
> causes the pc with X running to lose
> sync. Then it can't regain sync.
>
> -Bob