Re: 2.4 vs 2.6

From: David Ford
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 12:26:58 EST

Partial comments below

Anssi Saari wrote:

-- modules don't autoload for some reason (though I'm sure that could
be solved),

I've had this too, with autofs4 and 3c59x. After patching lirc into the
kernel, the only real issue is with the console. I found a patch for radeonfb,
but didn't get anywhere with it.

The rest of my problems is userland stuff:

- Murasaki (a hotplug agent) doesn't react when USB things are plugged in

You need to update your hotplug installation. Turn on debugging in your hotplug scripts and copy the appropriate object ID numbers into the usb.usermap file.

- swapon -a takes two minutes to complete for some reason

Try recreating your swapon partition/file? Turning on a gig of swap here happens pretty quick.

- rpc.lockd doesn't start, it says lockdsvc: Function not implemented. I don't

Update/rebuild your rpc/nfs tools.

know if I really need this anyway, nfs seems to work fine
- zsh doesn't complete make targets like menuconfig
- I'd also like to point out that cdrecord isn't sufficient for my CD writing needs, I need cdrdao too and it doesn't seem to support
direct access to ATAPI drives.

I haven't used zsh or cdrdao so I can't comment on them. I don't use the above modules, but all the other modules on my system (numerous) do autoload just fine. NFS is a big PITA for me for other reasons but the services do start.

My systems are of the Gentoo flavor.

David