Re: PCI Express support for 2.4 kernel

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 13:35:00 EST

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Tomas Szepe wrote:

> On Dec-15 2003, Mon, 13:03 -0500
> Richard B. Johnson <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Therefore you make data exist in the .data segment by initializing
> > it. If GCC decides to put this initialized data in the .bss segment,
> > then it is broken. FYI, it doesn't.
>
> Richard, stop denying reality, go check out what gcc 3.3.2 does.
>
> --
> Tomas Szepe <szepe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Well, it seems I am NOT denying reality. Others have just
parroted the contents of an ELF __Header__. I will show you the
actual allocation data.

Script started on Mon Dec 15 13:25:21 2003

quark:/home/johnson[1] cat xxx.c

int foo; // Not initialized
int bar=0; // Initialized

quark:/home/johnson[2] gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)

quark:/home/johnson[3] gcc -c -o xxx.o xxx.c
quark:/home/johnson[4] objdump --disassemble-all xxx.o

xxx.o: file format elf32-i386

Disassembly of section .text:
Disassembly of section .data:

00000000 <bar>:
0: 00 00 add %al,(%eax)
quark:/home/johnson[5] exit

Script done on Mon Dec 15 13:26:17 2003

This clearly shows that "bar" is the only variable in that object
file. The variable, foo, is written in the header (not shown)
so that the loader knows its size and its relocation symbol.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).