Packet Handling in Linux

From: Vidya G Krishnan
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 03:17:35 EST

I am doing a project on traffic shaping in linux. I
think of inserting a module on top of network driver
in gateway, buffer packets obtained from network
driver and transmit according to prefixed rate to
other machines.

How can I call my packet handling function instead of
the default packet handler(say IPV4 packet handler)?
Is it possible to call my packet handler by changing
the net_rx_action() in linux/net/core/dev.c . Can I
modify the ETH_P_IP (default function is ip_rcv() in
linux/ip_input.c).

My idea is to call ip_rcv() from my packet handler. Do
u think it will work? Can u suggest a better one?

plzzz reply...