Re: Linux 2.4.24-pre1: Instant reboot

From: Matthias Andree
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 17:41:57 EST

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Kristofer T. Karas wrote:

> Hi Marcelo, et al,
>
> Just wanted to report an instantaneous reboot problem with 2.4.24-pre1.
>
> I don't even see any printk's to the screen; as soon as LILO is finished
> boot sequence again. Since I seem to be the only one reporting this to
> LKML, I suspect I'll have to back out various patches to try to track
> this down. :-P

I've seen this, too, with XFS=y and OOM_KILLER=n, but haven't yet gotten
around to "make clean" and try again with a fresh build (I had 2.4.23
code traces in the .o files). I also have device-manager 1.00.07
patched in (no rejects, no manual edits necessary). My version was
pulled from BK, I can look up the latest ChangeSet I pulled from the
official kernel if necessary. I'll now try a "make clean" build after
yet another BK pull.

> At work now, so I don't have a full .config handy, but:
> * Slackware 8.1 based; glibc 2.2.5; gcc 2.95.3
> * Soltek SL-75DRV2 (UP, Athlon XP 1700, VIA KT266A [VT8366A/VT8233])
> * Root = ext3 on IDE partition
> * DevFS, DevPTS, IDE-SCSI=cdrom0, USBStorage, USB EHCI, VFAT
> * RadeonFB, IPTables, Realtek-8139

SuSE Linux 8.2, gcc 3.3.1, Gigabyte 7ZX-R (VIA KT133 + Promise 20265R),
root ext3 on SCSI (sym53c8xx_2), no devfs, no usb storage, vfat, xfs.

However, I doubt the file systems matter, the machine apparently hasn't
probed my partitions when it reboots.

--
Matthias Andree