Any workaround for mounting an image file (with loop device) which resides on NTFS?

From: roman
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 03:55:28 EST

Hi all,

Scenario: I placed one disk image (image.dd) on a NTFS volume (it's the only
partition where I have some available space) and my idea was to first
mount NTFS partition as /mnt/ntfs, and afterwards mounting
/mnt/ntfs/image.dd (ext3) with loop device.

I'm getting the following error at the second mount command:
ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Invalid argument

I googled a bit and it seems to be some kind of incompatibility
between NTFS driver and loop device, as I read in a former thread at lk-ml
(but it didn't clarify how to solve the problem). I tried with a Debian
2.4.18 kernel, but I guess the problem persists on every 2.4.x.
Did you manage to solve this? I wouldn't mind to switch to an experimental
kernel branch, if necessary, since the machine I'm going to use is not in
a production environment. Please, specify clearly with exact version of
the kernel should I download and necessary patches (if any).
TIA.

-R