Re: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?

From: Jesse Pollard
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 09:27:04 EST

On Thursday 18 December 2003 03:12, Randy Zagar wrote:
[snip]
> p.s. The first thing I'm going to do after I build my time machine is
> go visit Finland and say "Use the LGPL, Linus".

I believe he did, and he decided the LGPL did not apply since the Kernel is a
"main program", and not really a library.

Now if Linux were converted to a microkernel then things might be different.

Unfortunately, most of the hardware linux runs on doesn't support
the microkernel structure efficently (not enough general registers,
insufficiently fine grained memory address control, uncontroled DMA,
and too much time in context switching...)