Re: Catching NForce2 lockup with NMI watchdog

From: Craig Bradney
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 05:37:03 EST

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 06:38, Ross Dickson wrote:
> On Friday 19 December 2003 00:22, Craig Bradney wrote:
> > Just as an FYI, still going strong here with the old api and ioapic
> > patches. 5d 20h now.
> >
> > When the official 2.6.0 comes to Gentoo Linux I can try that with
> > whatever patches people are finding stable for these nforce fixes.
> >
> > Anyone had any luck in talking to ASUS re a BIOS update?
> >
> > Craig
> >

> I have not talked to ASUS. I note from peoples postings that with the
> latest award bios we may need no apic patches (C1 disconnect auto),
> just an ioapic one to work round a buggy bios. I don't think you can run
> nmi_watchdog=1 with the old io-apic (not of my doing) patch.
>
> I have pheonix bios MOBOS from albatron and epox so award bios doesn't help me.
> No disconnect options available in setup.
> My apic ack delay patch lets the bios have its disconnect on and keep the cpu a
> few degrees cooler besides whatever else it and the nforce2 chipset might want
> to control it for.
>
> I have been advised my query wrt my apic ack delay patch is progressing
> with AMD but I have nothing technical to report on it.
>
> I have made and am trialling, but have not yet posted a kernel arg controlled
> version combining my v1 and v2 apic ack delay patches. This would be better
> than what I have released in the past because people can fix bioses as the
> fixes become available and use timer ack delay in the mean time.
> Of course there is still athcool and the earlier disconnect patch to force
> things if desired.
>
> Regards
> Ross.

Ok Ross. Well, Gentoo's 2.6 is out now so whenever you want me to test
your new patch I can try it. Ive been looking back through the list for
the updated patches but things seemed to have changed here and there
even for the v2 patches so I think I'll wait for the next round of
patchesas things seem a little confusing.

2.6test11 is still running happily.. 6d15h now.

Craig