Re: [2.4] Nforce2 oops and occasional hang (tried the lockupspatch, no difference)

From: Disconnect
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 12:25:35 EST

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 13:52, Disconnect wrote:
> memory/cpu timings. (Even underclocked it to 133 and 1G with no
> change.) So its unfortunately back on a stock 2.4.23-pre9 with
> noapic/noacpi. (It disables one of the sets of usb ports, as I recall,
> but it mostly works...)

Update: Underclocked from 1.8G to 1.2G (whups, meant to go down only
2-300mhz) and its been vaguely stable for about 1.5 days. I don't have
another week (yet..) to run it under its normal load and wait for a
crash, so what I'm going to do is:
- Move the workload (web/mail/..) to a different machine so this one
can be down for an extended period
- Replace the ram with new sticks (they arrived this morning)
- Reclock everything to stock (1.83G cpu, 200mhz ram and verify the
timings from kingston)
- Replace the video card
- Memtest86 until it cries
- If it passes, bonnie++ on the new drives
- If that passes, usb/acpi/apic testing with the associated patches

Anyone still watching this? Tips and suggestions on what else might be
useful/informative are more than welcome. The tests above mostly
replicate what I did when building this box, and it passed them then..

Recap:
Epox 8rda+ nforce2 mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton) 1.83G
Kingston HyperX PC3200
WD Caviar WD1200JB 8M/UDMA100
Antec case w/ 350W AMD-certified PSU

Oopses and occasional hangs, usually in do_generic_file_read, using
stock kernel.org 2.4.2x kernels. Hardware passed testing (memtest86,
bonnie++) before I put Linux on it.

--
Disconnect <lkml@xxxxxxxxxxx>