psmouse synchronization loss under load

From: Aaron Lehmann
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 20:54:39 EST

On a Dell laptop whenever I run a program that takes the full CPU, my
mouse pointer goes insane and thrashes my X session every few minutes.
It seems to have a mind of its own and always be able to make it to
the Exit item in the root menu ;). Whenever this happens, psmouse logs
and detects the error:

psmouse.c: Mouse at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost synchronization, throwing
2 bytes away.

The pointing device itself is a Synaptics touchpad. I don't use the
synaptics driver because every time I've tried it (intentionally and
when forced to by older development kernels) it simply rendered the
touchpad inoperative.

I'm running a late snapshot of 2.6.0-test11 which for all intents and
purposes is the same as 2.6.0. The problem that I described happens
with other versions of the 2.6.0-test series. I upgraded to this
snapshot a few days ago to make sure I could reproduce the problem.