Re: lmbench 2.4.20-8(RH9), 2.4.20, 2.6.0

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 22:56:51 EST

Huo Zhigang(???) wrote:

Howdy,

Is the network performance of 2.6.0 so bad or my test
totally wrong?

Could anyone tell me how to dig into performance
optimization of linux?

This has come up a few times, but nobody is too worried about it.
I have profiles showing that more than double the amount of time
is spent in copying data for the same amount of work.

Its worth noting though, that it is "networking" over localhost.
I expect the numbers for remote networking are better, but don't
have a good network setup to test it.

Do you have any real applications (not benchmarks) that have
performance problems?