Re: 2.6 vs 2.4 regression when running gnomemeeting

From: Christian Meder
Date: Sat Dec 20 2003 - 20:51:04 EST

On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 20:34, Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
> * Christian Meder schrieb am 19.12.03 um 21:11 Uhr:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got a longstanding regression in gnomemeeting usage when switching
> > between 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.
> >
> > Phenomenon:
> > Without load gnomemeeting VOIP connections are fine. As soon as some
> > load like a kernel compile is put on the laptop the gnomemeeting audio
> > stream is cut to pieces and gets unintelligible . On 2.4.2x I don't get
> > even the slightest distortion in the audio stream under load. I played
> > around with different nice levels with no success. The problem persisted
> > during the whole 2.6.0-test series no matter whether I used -mm kernels
> > or pristine Linus kernels. Even when nicing the kernel compile to +19
> > the distortions start right away. I tried Nick Piggin's scheduler which
> > fared slightly better after changing the nice level of gnomemeeting to
> > -10 but it's still a far cry from the 2.4.2x feeling without any
> > fiddling with nice values.
> >
> > Any hints where to start looking are greatly appreciated.
> >

> Hi Christian,
>
> is it true, that your X-Server runs with a higher priority? Perhaps
> you are a Debian user?
>
> If thats the case try to make your X-Server run with normal
> priority. That fixed sound problems here too. I had the problem that
> I could not play an mp3 file without distortion while compiling a
> kernel.

Oh I tried gnomemeeting, the Xserver and the kernel compile at different
nice levels without significant changes. Additionally I don't have any
problems with audio playback under load, it's just that gnomemeeting is
performing worse than in 2.4.2x.

Christian

--
Christian Meder, email: chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx