Re: Difference between select and enable in Kconfig

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Sun Dec 21 2003 - 00:00:35 EST

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 03:46:54 +0100 Marcel Holtmann <marcel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| Hi,
|
| while porting some of my drivers to 2.6 which use the firmware loader
| for example I came to the question whether to use select or enable to
| achieve the desired result. Looking at the documention don't gives me
| the answer and from zconf.l I feel that both options are the same. Can
| anyone please explain me the differences if there are any?

I agree, they look like synonyms.
There's nothing about "enable" in Documentation/kbuild/kconfig-language.txt
and there's evidence in zconf.l (as you mention) and in menu.c
that they are the same:

case P_SELECT:
sym2 = prop_get_symbol(prop);
if ((sym->type != S_BOOLEAN && sym->type != S_TRISTATE) ||
(sym2->type != S_BOOLEAN && sym2->type != S_TRISTATE))
fprintf(stderr, "%s:%d:warning: enable is only allowed with boolean and tristate symbols\n",
~~~~~~

--
~Randy