problem with usb duo mouse and keyboard

From: Raul Miller
Date: Sun Dec 21 2003 - 15:45:03 EST

Linux 2.6.0 (and 2.6.0-test11) appears to have a significant problem
with the mouse of the logitech 700mx duo when it's plugged in using usb.

The mouse works fine* when plugged in using the ps/2 mouse connector,
and the keyboard works ok even when plugged in using usb. However,
when using usb:

o horizontal mouse movement is interpreted as vertical movement
o vertical mouse movement is ignored
o strange things happen with mouse button presses (I didn't bother
working with this configuration long enough to figure out the
details).

This occurs under both x and gpm, which is mild evidence that it's
not a user space problem.

It might also be worth noting that some of the extra keys on the keyboard
do odd mouse-like things (like move the mouse's pointer horizontally
a short distance) when it's a usb keyboard. However, these keys work
reasonably normally (or, in two cases**, generate entries in syslog)
when it's plugged in as a ps/2 keyboard.

My guess is that the respective usb drivers haven't taken into account
that both a keyboard and a mouse might appear on the same physical
connection. [But I'm still coming up to speed, and haven't yet figured
out how to confirm/disprove that guess.]

--
Raul Miller
moth@xxxxxxxxxxx

* one mouse button is ignored, however it is so awkwardly placed that I
doubt anyone would want to use it.

** the syslog entries from the unsupported keys:

Dec 21 15:28:07 localhost kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x11d, data 0x11, on isa0060/serio0).
Dec 21 15:28:07 localhost kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set
2, code 0x11d, data 0x91, on isa0060/serio0).
Dec 21 15:28:10 localhost kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x12c, data 0x14, on isa0060/serio0).
Dec 21 15:28:10 localhost kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set
2, code 0x12c, data 0x94, on isa0060/serio0).

Perhaps it's also worth noting that most of the other extra keys send two
byte sequences when pressed (as reported by showkey -s), and showkey -k
seems to be reporting the extra information as extra key releases, I think
I've seen something similar on other keyboards, but I don't have one of
those handy to test on). If anyone cares, I can document this for them.