Re: lot of VM problem with 2.4.23

From: Ville Herva
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 16:14:03 EST

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 10:35:54AM -0800, you [Mike Fedyk] wrote:

> > I don't know if there is a kernel memory leak, since all user level
> > processes should be killed at that point, right? Unfortunately I didn't have
> > time to dig deeper, as the box is in (sort of) production.
>
> Maybe, it depends on your init scripts. Does your distribution do a kill -9
> of all processes before turning off swap?

(It's a 7.0 Red Hat).

It does
runcmd "Sending all processes the KILL signal..." /sbin/killall5 -9
before
[ -n "$SWAPS" ] && runcmd "Turning off swap: " swapoff $SWAPS
in /etc/rc6.d/S01reboot and I've seen the "Sending all processes the KILL
signal..." message appear before the memory freeing loop starts rolling.

-- v --

v@xxxxxx