Re: SCO's infringing files list

From: Giacomo A. Catenazzi
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 05:05:32 EST

Florian Weimer wrote:

jw schultz wrote:

And for the names, perhaps they would care to sue The Open
Group?

Not the names, but the comments. 8-)

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/basedefs/errno.h.html

The comments were added in Linux 0.99.1, and I'm not sure what was the
source. For example, Linux has:

#define ENOTTY 25 /* Not a typewriter */

Solaris:

#define ENOTTY 25 /* Inappropriate ioctl for device */

Current POSIX:

[ENOTTY]
Inappropriate I/O control operation.

I couldn't find any historic Minix header files. Minix 2 has:

#define ENOTTY (_SIGN 25) /* inappropriate I/O control operation */

In http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/DevToolsMay2002/gcc-937.2/libiberty/strerror.c

/* Extended support for using errno values.
Written by Fred Fish. fnf@xxxxxxxxxx
This file is in the public domain. --Per Bothner. */
(...)
#if defined (ENOTTY)
ENTRY(ENOTTY, "ENOTTY", "Not a typewriter"),
#endif

FYI there was a proposed patch to change "Not a typewriter" to "Inappropriate ioctl for device". Check the interesting thread of lkml:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0105.1/0471.html

ciao
giacomo