Re: [License of kernel components] linux-2.x.y/Documentation/logo.GIF should be logo.PNG?

From: Erik Andersen
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 14:39:14 EST

On Tue Dec 23, 2003 at 12:07:53PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I don't think GIF was ever "proprietary", but the l-z-w compression
> used was patented. The patent expired earlier this year. So gif is
> back.

The U.S. LZW patent expired June 20, 2003. The Canadian LZW
patent expiref July 7, 2004. The LZW patents in the United
Kingdom, France, Germany and Italy however are still active, and
will expire June 18, 2004. The Japanese LZW patent will expire
on June 20, 2004.

I vote for keeping the status quo for another 4 months....

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen http://codepoet-consulting.com/