Re: SCO's infringing files list

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 15:29:28 EST

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 09:56:11AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > It's almost certainly the "libc-2.2.2.tar.Z" file that we want
>
> I just uploaded a copy to
> ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/linux-local/libc.archive/libc/libc-222.taz

Yup, and I can confirm two things:

- the strings match 100% (well, duh, we already saw that from the binary)
- it doesn't even have an "errno.h"

that, together with the timing, pretty much proves that the kernel header
was indeed just auto-generated from sys_errlist[] of that timeframe, with
a program very much like the one I already posted.

Now, the libc file just says

/* This is a list of all known signal numbers. */

(which is obviously just a cut-and-paste from siglist.c n the same
directory). But it shouldn't much matter, since I don't think SCO really
is going to try to claim copyright ownership of the result of standard C
library interactions like using "sys_errlist[]".

(I take that back - _of_course_ they are going to try to claim ownership.
After all, they already claimed ownership of code I provably wrote).

Linus