Re: [NEW FEATURE]Partitions on loop device for 2.6

From: BlaisorBlade
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 14:06:52 EST

Answering to Sean Estabrooks:

1st, I asked to be CC'ed on replies, as I'm not subscribed. In fact I'm sorry
your mail is not properly quoted, as I did this by hand.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:20:22 +0100
BlaisorBlade <blaisorblade_spam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> NEED:
>> I have the need to loop mount files containing not plain filesystems,
>> but whole disk images.
>>

>What does your proposed feature
Note that I propose also beta-code(not actually ready due to the BLKRRPART
problem).
> add to the kernel that can't be
>accomplished with the "losetup" command and its offset parameter?
If you read my mail, I already noted the existance of the offset parameter,
but do you prefer:
1) to run fdisk, shoot some commands and get the offset and then put that
offset into losetup or mount, saving some code but losing a lot of
time(remember computers are all about saving time for humans); this could
actually be scripted, and if you post a script to do this I could even use
it.
2) or use existing code in the kernel to automate all this, with minimal
intrusiveness?
I know that moving things to userspace is useful if it helps reduce kernel
bloating(and this patch will not bloat anything); yet we could move partition
handling to the userspace by adding an offset param for general mounts, but
this doesn't happen.
However for this it's matter of taste.

Good bye and merry Christmas!
--