2.6.0-test11 data loss

From: Keith Lea
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 17:01:55 EST

Hello, I'm not subscribed to this list. This is not a help request, and not really a bug report, I just thought someone should know about this.

I installed the 2.6.0-beta11-mm kernel last week, and the other day my computer locked up (this is normal on my laptop with every kernel version I've tried, this isn't the problem I'm posting about). When I restarted, many, many files that had been open when it locked up were filled with garbage, or the contents of totally unrelated files. For example, my syslog contained some KDE header file code, and /sbin/modprobe contained 82kb of data that seemed like random noise. I think each file was the same size as it was originally, just with different data, but I'm not sure.

The corruption happened on two separate partitions on a single IDE laptop drive, and both were ReiserFS 3.6 partitions. I don't know if this is a kernel bug or a Reiser bug or something else, but I thought the kernel developers should know about this, and be on the lookout for similar things (hopefully with more informative bug reports than mine). I'm sorry I don't have more information, but if anyone wants to know more about my system I'd be glad to help.

-Keith Lea