Laptop and CPU fan

From: Gaël Le Mignot
Date: Thu Dec 25 2003 - 07:36:14 EST

Hello and merry X-mas !

I have a problem with teh CPU fan of my laptop, and it seems very
weird to me. Basically, when I boot Linux, if the CPU fan was off at
boot time, it remains off forever (until the laptop turns off, and I'm
afraid this would damage it one day). If the CPU fan was on, it
remains always on, using battery, but at least not damaging anything.

I tried to enable APM, ACPI, both of them, neither of them, it doesn't
change anything (with 2.4.21 and 2.6.0). ACPI doesn't not see the fan
(it sees CPU and AC adapter, but no battery nor fan).

I can disable PM at the BIOS level, and then the fan is always on, but
at full power (if I just wait in grub until the fan starts at low
speed and boot Linux, the fan stays at low speed and everything goes
fine).

Then began two very weird things:

- if I boot a non-APM non-ACPI kernel like GNU Mach, the fan is still
controlled by the BIOS, and everything goes fine. This does not
happen if I compile 2.6.0 with no APM nor ACPI support. I tried to
play with APM options like "enable PM at boot time" too, it doesn't
change anything.

- if I boot a Debian kernel (kernel-image-2.4.21-5-686) then the fan
works well, I tried to recopy the PM-related options from Debian
kernel to vanilla kernel, but then the fan doesn't work...

I'll try to find a newer BIOS for my laptop, but if you have any clue
to help me to understand what's happening, or any trick to use my
laptop as best as possible, I'ld be thankfull.

--
Gael Le Mignot "Kilobug" - kilobug@xxxxxxxxx - http://kilobug.free.fr
GSM : 06.71.47.18.22 (in France) ICQ UIN : 7299959

Member of HurdFr: http://hurdfr.org - The GNU Hurd: http://hurd.gnu.org