Re: 2.7 (future kernel) wish

From: David B. Stevens
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 19:00:10 EST

While I agree that the kernel should provide decent error handling and reporting I still have to ask questions about what is reasonable.

What does that other OS do when you pull a USB stick out? What do you think the kernel should do? Why don't the applications operating on the data take better care of handling error conditions?

I don't have one here to try, but at some point the (ab)user needs to take a bit of the heat for his or her action(s) or lack thereof.

After all you could just reach in your case and rip out the IDE or SCSI cables. Bet that leads to all kinds of stuff (tm).

Cheers,
Dave