Re: 2.6.0 sound output - wierd effects

From: Martin J. Bligh
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 23:36:26 EST

>> > If you right click on xmms, and then select options->preferences, on the
>> > first page to the bottom there should be output plugin. If you cannot
>> > select alsa, see if there is a xmms-alsa or libxmms-alsa plugin. Sorry,
>> > I do not know Debian that well.
>>
>> Thanks, it was on OSS - there's no ALSA selection, nor can I find one.
>> There's probably one in unstable somewhere, but ... see below.
>
> Btw, compile xmms yourself - should have alsa then =) Not sure if
> it will if you build with apt-get from source, or when they started
> to ship the alsa module with xmms source - think it was not so long
> ago. Does with 1.2.8 though:

Oh, I understand I could work around the problem in userspace, but that's
not the point - something broke in the kernel, presumably OSS emulation.
test2 works, test3 doesn't.

I suspect this changeset:

ChangeSet@xxxxxxxxxxxx 2003-07-28 13:35:31+02:00 perex@cz:/home/perex/bk/linux-sound/linux-sound
all diffs ALSA 0.9.6 update
- added __setup() to all midlevel modules
- sequencer protocol 1.0.1
- added timestamping flags for ports
- OSS PCM emulation
- fixed write() behaviour
- added two new options no-silence & whole-frag
- a try to fix OOPSes caused in the rate plugin
- emu10k1 driver
- more support for Audigy/Audigy2 EX
- fixed soundfont locking
- sb16 driver
- fixed fm_res handling (and proc OOPS)
- via82xx driver
- fixed revision check for 8233A
- usbaudio driver
- added a workaround for M-Audio Audiophile USB

Particlarly the bit about OSS PCM emulation ;-)

M.