2.6-test11 kernel gives ppc build error

From: ima . sudonim
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 14:59:07 EST

Hi,

I have been lurking on the list for about a month, and am obviously a newbie at this.

I have been running a 2.4.22 kernel for a while, but was hoping to move up to 2.6 for a variety of reasons. I have a minimal 2.6 kernel running, but when I try to add sound support for my apple g3 powerbook, I now get an error linking vmlinux

Right now I am getting an ld error
LD .tmp_vmlinux1
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x2ff6c): In function 'start_request': undefined refrence to '__udivdi3'
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x2ff6c): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC_REL24 __udivdi3
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x2ff84): In function 'start_request': undefined refrence to '__umoddi3'
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x2ff84): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC_REL24 __umoddi3

make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

I am using benh's ppc source with yellowdog linux 3.01 on an apple G3 powerbook (pismo)
Other than some 'defined but not used' warnings, the compile was pretty clean: for example,

CC [M] sound/oss/dmasound/tas3004.o
sound/oss/dmasound/tas3004.c:332:warning 'tas3004_read_register' defined but not used

I'm assuming that the 20 or so 'defined but not used' can be safely ignored as either old code no loonger used or new code not yet used, but what about the umoddi3, udivd3? Are they powerpc instructions or am I missing a C math library somewhere?

I'm supposing that I should not try to use any kernel generated by ld that resulted in errors... 8-(

Thanks for any help that you may give!

I will try to follow any discussion on the list, but do not subscribe. I will forward summaries of anything cc:ed to me to the list. Sorry for the trouble...

I.