Re: Can't eject a previously mounted CD?

From: Ed Sweetman
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 19:29:21 EST

Samuel Flory wrote:
Joshua Kwan wrote:

On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 11:54:34AM -0800, Samuel Flory wrote:

What does fuser -kv /mnt/cdrom claim?

It's /cdrom here. I tried it on both /cdrom and /dev/cdrom after
unmounting it, and the output was blank.

While mounted, here was the output:

USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
/cdrom root kernel mount /cdrom
No automatic removal. Please use umount /cdrom

I guess that doesn't say much though...

It does seem to imply that the cdrom is still mounted, or that something thinks it's still mounted.

I dont believe this unable to eject problem has anything to do with anything thinking it's mounted.

famd upon load seems to cause this error.
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 0

That's my cdrom. Perhaps the kernel has a bug in the code dealing with an access to the cdrom where no media is mounted and/or loaded. Either way, this is at boot and seems to be a kernel bug initiated by FAM. At least the version distributed with debian-unstable. I dont use gnome (i do have some gnome programs installed to test on) and the error message was reported soon after the loading of FAM.