Re: 2.6.0 and mice

From: Norman Diamond
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 21:08:42 EST

Peter Osterlund replied to me:

> > 2. Also in Input device support, there is a section on Mice, PS/2 mouse,
> > and Synaptics TouchPad. These I compiled in and they don't seem to be
> > causing any problems. It seems that the Alps TouchPad is being recognized
> > as an Intelli/Wheel mouse instead of being recognized as a Synaptics
> > TouchPad, which is unfortunate but not really causing any problems. I've
> > read that Synaptics is most common in foreign countries but Alps is most
> > common in Japan.
>
> The synaptics kernel driver doesn't try to recognize alps touchpads.

I guess that explains why the Synaptics driver didn't cause any problems
:-)

> However, in the XFree86 driver
> http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/index.html
> there is a kernel patch (alps.patch) that makes the kernel recognize
> alps touchpads and generate data compatible with the XFree86 synaptics
> driver.

Looking at that page, I'll guess that SuSE 8.2's version of XFree86 probably
already has that patch, because under X the touchpad is performing more than
half of those operations correctly already.

> It doesn't work perfectly though, at least not for some hardware. The
> problem seems to be how to interpret the gesture bit in the alps mouse
> packets.

That's OK, Alps supplies notebook vendors with drivers for Monopolysoft
OSes, and it seems that Alps hasn't completely got this working correctly
either.