Re: 2.6.0 swsusp

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 21:21:27 EST

Hi!

> > > 2. When I forgot to say either "resume" or "noresume", the kernel detected
> > > that it could not use the swap partition, but it did not offer the
> > > possibility to resume. Surely it could detect early enough that the swap
> > > partition is not usable for swap but is usable for resume, and could ask the
> > > user whether to do a "resume" or "noresume".
> >
> > At *that* point, it is no longer possible to resume safely.
>
> Yes and no. Junio C. Hamano explained the same thing to me, but he ALSO
> explained a trick that he uses. He ALWAYS tells the kernel to do a resume.
> Then the kernel detects sufficiently early if a resume is really possible or
> not.

Yep, same trick I use... Hmm, perhaps it should be written
somewhere. But that's why "noresume" makes sense.

> Hmm, I guess I still see that if we wait for the kernel to mount / and read
> /etc/fstab to find where the swap partition is then it will already be too
> late to try resuming from the image in the swap partition. But
> theoretically it must be possible, because a certain famous monopoly
> software maker can resume from an image stored in a FILE after starting its
> boot sequence.

With enough thrust, you can make pig fly...

[Not doable in 2.6, and I do not think it is good idea].

> > > 3. When swsusp completed its writing, it decided that my ACPI BIOS could
> > > not power off automatically. I wonder why. No other OS has trouble
> > > powering off this machine. Also on machines with older APM BIOSes, no OS
> > > had trouble powering off the machines, not even Linux with APM drivers. So
> > > I could hold the power switch for 4 seconds and the BIOS beeped a warning
> > > before powering off, but I wonder why it was necessary.
> >
> > If regular halt is also unable to power off machine, fill the bug in
> > ACPI bugzilla.
>
> Exactly the opposite. Regular halt works. For some reason I hadn't tested
> regular halt under Linux on this particular machine before first writing the
> above (many reboots and suspends but not plain shutdowns). But I tested a
> regular halt later and it powered down automatically. Only swsusp refuses
> to power it down.

Ahha, okay. On swsusp (swsusp.sf.net) list, there was some patch for
something pretty much unrelated; it put regular sys_reboot() into
swsusp. Any chance to try that?
Pavel
--
When do you have heart between your knees?