Re: [OT] working mini-pci wlan cards in thinkpads

From: Hollis Blanchard
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 11:19:47 EST

On Tuesday, Dec 16, 2003, at 17:10 US/Central, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
On Monday, Dec 15, 2003, at 18:03 US/Central, Disconnect wrote:

And yet I was able to call dell and just order an older card to go in
my Inspiron. (A standard 802.11b card; orinoco on a pci->cardbus bridge.)
The only regulatory info they mentioned was including a pack of the
certified-by stickers to replace the ones that were on the laptop from
the original card.

the truemobile 1150 is just an off the shelf avaya/agere/orinoco/proxim
minipci card... I happen to have one with an acer label in my inspiron
4150 but since they all have the same fcc id they were all made by agere.

Thanks for the recommendation! I installed a Dell Truemobile 1150 in a (gift) Thinkpad R40 last week. Worked perfectly in WinXP and Knoppix 3.3, no fussing with (PrismII) drivers in either case.

Also, the antenna leads were plenty long enough, and I didn't see any BIOS authorization problems (as mentioned at http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0312.2/0147.html).

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center