RE: ataraid in 2.6.?

From: Christophe Saout
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 12:39:14 EST

Am Mo, den 29.12.2003 schrieb Nicklas Bondesson um 18:27:

> How do you set this (device mapping) up using the 2.6 kernel. I like the
> ease of using ataraid in 2.4.x. Why not have both alternatives as options
> (both ataraid and devicemapper)?

I think the reason is to avoid unnecessary code duplication.
device-mapper provides a generic method to do such things. Also the
developers are heading towards removing code from the kernel that can be
done in userspace. There are plans to remove partition detection from
the kernel in 2.7 and move the detection and setup code to a userspace
program (using device-mapper) which can be placed in the initramfs (so
that the user won't notice any difference). Ataraid detection and setup
could also be placed there later.

If someone writes an ataraid detection and setup program in userspace it
could be placed on an initrd.

You can find the dmsetup tool in Sistina's device-mapper package.

--
Christophe Saout <christophe@xxxxxxxx>