Re: Adaptec/DPT I2O Option Omitted From Linux 2.6.0 Kernel ConfigurationTool

From: Samuel Flory
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 13:28:04 EST

Leon Toh wrote:
At 11:15 AM 29/12/2003, Samuel Flory wrote:

How broken is the driver than ? What are the implication's if the driver is left as it is for now ?

It doesn't compile at all. If it's not fixed your only other option is the generic i2o driver.

It doesn't even compile in 2.4 for a number of archs like amd64.

This driver was initially intended only for i386 arch. Furthermore at that time when this driver was finalized amd64 wasn't available.

My point is that the driver isn't very portable.

A while back a bunch of people (including myself) raised the concern through various channels with adaptec. In theroy someone at adaptec is working on it, but there was not an ETA.

If you have happen to have a list of issues with this current driver together with supporting information to back up those claims, please forward them to so that I can escalate those issues into Adaptec via the appropriate communication channel. I happen to have a number of contact's within Adaptec myself.

By the way I've hack the script file to make Adaptec I2O Option to appear in Linux 2.6.0 Kernel Configuration tool. Currently I'm now in the middle of recompiling the kernel using current dpti2o driver support but haven't got to the dpti2o driver yet.

You might want to hold off on doing a lot of work for a bit. I think there was a beta driver that was being passed around.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.