Re: Best Low-cost IDE RAID Solution For 2.6.x? (OT?)

From: Samuel Flory
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 14:07:50 EST

Johannes Ruscheinski wrote:
Also sprach Tomas Szepe:

On Dec-28 2003, Sun, 18:10 -0800
Samuel Flory <sflory@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

PS- Why not at least run software raid 5? It takes far less cpu than you'd think, and can save your ass.

Absolutely. With eight low-cost IDE disks, you'd be nuts to go raid0
or linear.

I'll probably go with raid5 and the Promise tx4000 card recommended by Joel.
It looks like I'll have the funding to buy another box and another 1 TiB of
disk space. Thanks for all the advice!!

A word of advice when using software raid. Be sure to run badblocks on all the disks before creating your array. Software raid isn't as nice about bad sectors as most hardware raid controllers. On the other hand the md driver kicks the ass of nearly every raid controller I've tried.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.